Saturday, November 21, 2009

Those judging eyes of other parents

At the park today, my kid was trying to do the monkey bars by herself.  She has the strength and coordination, but she lacks the confidence.  So I pushed her to get past her fears.

When I say I pushed her, I mean I was strongly encouraging her to do better.  Okay, I was loudly telling her to move her hand to the next bar, but the point is that she was getting some coaching from her dad.

Of course, this coaching did not go unnoticed by some of the moms at the playground.  I definitely saw the eyes roll as I told my own kid to stop being scared and get to the next bar.

One mom went so far as to take her own kid and hold her as she swung across the monkey bars.  Yeah, I get it, you were trying to show me how to get my kid to the other side.  Well guess what mom, that doesn't count.

Here's the deal.  I know my kid's limits.  She's my daughter.  She's physically able to do the monkey bars.  And furthermore, she wants to get across the bars alone.  So I don't need your judging eyes on me as I help to coax her out of her fear.

If a child wants to be pushed or coached or encouraged, then as a parent, you need to do that for him or her.  It is easier to help a child instead of letting them be uncomfortable.  It is a natural instinct.  But kids need to learn to push past their perceived boundaries to grow.  I want my child to achieve - the way to do that is to help her past her fear.

So when I'm at the park, and my daughter is hanging halfway across the monkey bars with me strongly telling her to move her right hand to the next bar, you need to see that for what it is - good coaching.

As it turned out, she fell.  Then she looked up at me, laughing, and said, "I can't help it - this is so much fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment